Tuesday 16 December 2014

Homemade Granola


Just a quick one today,  I wanted to share my homemade granola with you all because... well it is awesome.  I am not a fan of cereal, I think because too much milk always makes me feel a bit sickly, also I don't believe it is possible for a bowl of cereal to fill you up.  I have always considered it to be a breakfast starter.  


Now because my other preferred breakfast choices involve eggs/toast/sausages I do not have the time in the mornings to satisfy these urges.  Mainly because I give myself about 15 mins to get ready and get out of the house (totally doable).  This meant I had to find another solution, cue Jamie Oliver.


The recipe is really simple and has the added bonus of making your house smell like warm cake, so much so that my dad came into the kitchen super excited for a slice.  Sorry boss.  The best thing is you can add or take away ingredients to suit your taste, I added coconut because I love anything with coconut in it, but you can definitely leave it out and just add something like raisins instead.  


A couple of granola recipes I found online call for you to mix oil in with the oats so they become crispy, but I have never had a problem with the texture, as long as you make sure they are spread thinly enough. 

Granola
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's recipe

- 200g nuts of your choice (I use Cashew)
- 400g rolled jumbo oats
- 100g Sunflower seeds or Pumpkin seeds
- 340g runny honey 
- 100g dessicated coconut

Method

- Set the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F
- Bash the nuts in their bag with a rolling pin until they are lightly crushed
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then mix in the honey, stir well to combine
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly across both, make sure it isn't too thick otherwise the underneath won't crisp up
- Put the trays on the top and middle shelves of the oven and set the timer for 30 mins, after about 15 mins check the granola, the top tray may have turned a dark golden brown already so you can remove it, otherwise just swap them around so that they cook evenly
- Once cooked, leave to cool down and then break up into chunks and put into an airtight container
- Serve with yoghurt and fruit of your choice (I used blueberries and soy yoghurt)

Makes enough for about 10 days worth of granola and will last as long as you keep in an airtight container




No comments:

Post a Comment