Monday 8 December 2014

Best Chocolate Brownies


I know I'm not the best cook in the world, part of the reason for starting this blog was to improve my cooking skills, but the one thing I do know how to make is a good chocolate brownie. I have been obsessed with those gooey rich chocolate blocks for years and if there was ever an occasion in my teenage calendar to bring them to an event I would. Not that I had many events to go to, my dad ruled with an iron fist and had the sense to mistrust my every move.


This recipe comes from my mum's friend, she runs a cafe in Chelsea Physic Garden called Tangerine Dream which I have been meaning to go to as I have heard it is beautiful there.  

I have used it many times and never been disappointed.  They are extremely rich, so I cut them quite small and they definitely work better with some double cream dolloped on top and a cup of tea (preferably an owl shaped one).



I am not going to say these brownies are healthy.  But I will say this, when you have spent a long day at work talking to morons, squashed yourself onto the roasting hot tube with someones elbow pressed into your back, rushed from the station trying not to lose your fingertips to frostbite to finally walk through the door, nothing makes you happier than a warmed up brownie.


Chocolate Brownies
Makes 32 pieces 

- 500g Lindt chocolate, 65/70% cocoa solids, or similar quantity broken up into small pieces 
- 700g caster sugar (yikes)
- 80g of plain flour (optional)
- 125g good quality cocoa powder
- 200g mixed nuts (optional, but worth it)
- 1 tbsp Madagascan vanilla essence
- 8 large free range or organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 500g melted unsalted butter

Method

- Line a 38cm roasting tray with baking parchment to overlap on all sides
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients
- Add the vanilla essence, followed by the beaten eggs, and finally the cooled melted butter, mix well
- Pour the mixture into the roasting tin and bake for 45 mins at 150c 
- The surface should crack slightly when ready
- Remove and cool for 30 mins then turn out onto a wire rack and remove baking parchment, cool for a further 20 mins
- Transfer to a chopping board and cut into 32 pieces (or more if you want them smaller)
- Serve with cream, ice cream or creme fraiche, keeps in an airtight container for 3 days (I think longer as they are so moist)







No comments:

Post a Comment