Sunday 7 December 2014

Chana Masala



I have been feeling under the weather this week.  Completely my fault as I went out last Saturday with no tights, no winter jacket and open toe shoes.  I then preceeded to walk around Shoreditch without those shoes on (my mother once told me a lady never takes her shoes off, but my boyfriend did give me his socks to wear so maybe I haven't lost all my dignity).  


I perked up midweek but then two days of consecutive drinking and more wandering in the cold without an appropriate jacket on caught up on me and I woke up today not feeling too clever.  I decided I needed a chilli fix to clear my sinuses so I turned to Meera Sodha.


I am a massive fan of what my dad likes to call 'village food'.  Coming from a Cypriot background some of my favourite dishes only contain lentils or pulses, dishes my yaiya cooked because they were too poor to buy meat.  I love a tomato-ey based sauce, especially with a kick and loads of black pepper and with a nice bit of crusty bread smothered with salty butter... I'm digressing.  Anyway this appealed to me because of those reasons and I wanted a meat free, cheap meal.


It definitely had a kick!  My mum had to put a spoonful of yoghurt in her mouth halfway though eating, so beware!  Although this may have been because I didn't scrape the seeds out of the chilli (laziness).  Other than that it was comforting and filling and my airwaves were clear for a good while after eating.  

I used tinned chickpeas and I actually would advise to go for the dried ones you have to soak overnight, the tinned ones were quite hard and I don't think as tasty.  I only used tinned because I really wanted to eat this dish today.

Chana Masala (workers curry)
Serves 4

- 200g dried chickpeas or 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3cm ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli
- Salt
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric

Method

- Put the dried chickpeas into a pan, cover with cold water, add the bicarbonate of soda and soak them for at least 6 hours.  Rinse, drain, then cover with more cold water and boil for 35-40 mins until soft, discarding any scum.  if you are using tinned chickpeas then drain them and rinse.
- Pound the ginger, garlic and chilli together in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt until it forms a paste.
- Put oil into a large frying pan on a medium heat.  When it is hot add the onions and cook for 10-12mins, or until golden brown.  Don't skimp on time and stir frequently.
- When the onions have coloured add the garlic, ginger and chilli paste and stir through.  Add the tomatos and break up in the pan with your wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato puree, stir well and cook for 8-10 mins, or until it has become a rich thick sauce.
- Add the salt and remaining spices and cook for a couple of mins before adding the chickpeas.  Check the consistancy and add about 5 tbsp water to thin the sauce.  Stir well and cook for another 5 mins.
- Taste and adjust any seasoning.
- Serve with chappatis or naan bread (or crusty bread covered in salted butter... just me?)



No comments:

Post a Comment