Thursday 8 January 2015

Cauliflower Soup & #blueberrygate


There are few things that get me through an 8am start at work like granola with yoghurt and blueberries.  It has consistently been my favourite breakfast since I first discovered this JO recipe a couple of months ago.  So imagine my surprise, no, horror when I went to the fridge to find the empty packet staring me in the face, like a black void with no blueberries to be found.  I actually said 'no' out loud, convinced this wasn't my packet... but oh yes, dear readers, it was.  And shall I tell you how I knew they had been dropped and not eaten?  There were still blueberries on the floor.  At least have the decency to cover your tracks!

I am going to try my hardest to get over what I feel is a personal attack, but to be honest the only thing keeping me chipper is the thought of going home and making this cauliflower soup tonight.


I have been a long time reader of The Smitten Kitchen, I read her blog basically every day in awe of how someone could make me want to eat pretty much anything she cooks.  Even cabbage soup. Seriously.

On the subject of soups, I have been going on a sort of soup frenzy recently.  By frenzy I mean I have been obsessed with Pret's ham hock soup (consumed at least once a week) and have willingly opted for the soup option in restaurants over the new years period whilst in Edinburgh.

I don't know about you lot, but one of my absolute favourite things to do with soup is butter up a generous portion of French stick, tear it into little pieces and submerge it.  The French stick soaks up the extra juice so the soup turns really thick and soul satisfying.

I am also a big fan of cauliflower.  I like it boiled, cheesed, roasted, anyway you can think of probably.  I like it so much I nearly didn't mention the Korean fried cauliflower I had at Bar Social with my man-friend for our one year anniversary for fear you will all run out to try it and there will be a national shortage of cauliflower.



So basically cauliflower + soup = :)    

Cauliflower Soup 
Serves 4 

- One head of cauliflower
- Two tbsp of extra Virgin olive oil 
- One small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- Half a cup of grated Parmesan 
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper 
Optional: I added half a teaspoon of lazy chilli because I like to put chilli in everything

Method
- Remove the leaves and cut off the thick core, roughly chop and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and garlic and chilli if using, cook on a medium heat until softened but not browned, about 5 mins
- Add the cauliflower and stock and bring to the boil, simmer for about 15 mins or until the cauliflower is soft and falling apart
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth (my hand held blender actually broke today of all days, I had to use a potato masher, let's just say things got a bit messy) 
- Return the blended soup to the pan and stir through the Parmesan 
- Season to taste











No comments:

Post a Comment